Mansfield GOP

This is the team blog of the Mansfield (MA) Republican Town Committee. MRTC members can post; anyone can comment. The views expressed by posters and commenters are their own, and do not necessarily represent the position of the MRTC as a whole.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Non-profits and political bedfellows

Let me preface this by saying that my wife and I are probably greener than a lot of our fellow Republicans. So when someone from Clean Water Action came by the house a while back, we talked to them and we probably even gave them some money, too. I mean hey, who's against clean water?

Fast forward to today, when my wife gets a postcard from Clean Water Action urging her to vote for Claire Naughton for State Representative in the 1st Bristol District. It's the second one she's received in this election cycle. Did I mention that my wife and I are also probably redder than a lot of our fellow Republicans - at least from this part of the country? We may support the idea of clean water, but on a host of issues we disagree with Claire - we'll be voting for Jay Barrows.

All this has got me thinking, though. A lot of organizations I support also support candidates that I can see myself voting for - the NRA, Citizens for Limited Taxation to name two. Then there are grayer areas. Immigration, for instance, isn't always clear-cut along party lines. And this isn't solely a problem for the right. Take a hypothetical Massachusetts Democrat who is also a devoted Catholic and believes homosexual "marriage" is wrong. Does she support a group that opposes homosexual marriage, knowing that they'll probably support Republican candidates?

What percent of issue-oriented non-profits like Clean Water Action advocate not only for their stated issue, but also for candidates they believe will vote their way on that issue? Do they all funnel part of your contributions into their political wings? What do you do when an issue group you like doesn't support the candidates you like - do you withhold support from the group? Then how do you express your support for the issue?

One more thing to think about before writing that next check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home